The Sefton Central County Constituency contains 1 Town Council and 9 Parish Councils, known locally as the 10 Parishes.
We are the only constituency in the Sefton Borough to have these layers of local government. The Southport and Bootle constituencies have no parish or town councils.
Within the Sefton Central County Constituency only the communities of Blundellsands, Brighton-le-Sands, Crosby, Little Crosby and a very small part of Waterloo don't have a Parish or Town Council, they are highlighted in dark blue on the above map.
Many of the councils pre-date the formation of Sefton Council in 1974 by decades. Please find details below of the 10 different parishes and a few facts.
Sefton Central Conservatives are 100% committed to the preservation of our Parish and Town councils. Too much of our heritage, history and countryside is being destroyed by Labour controlled Sefton Council, whose only aim is to turn our constituency into a soulless concrete jungle.
Maghull Town Council - 16 seats
Maghull North Ward (5 seats - polling districts A4 to A6 within the Borough Ward of Sudell),
Maghull South Ward (2 seats - polling district C3 within the Borough Ward of Molyneux),
Maghull East Ward (5 seats - polling districts A1 to A3 within the Borough Ward of Sudell)
Maghull West Ward (4 seats - polling districts B4 to B5 within the Borough Ward of Park)
Maghull contains 10 listed buildings including Chapel House Farm, Maghull Chapel & St Andrews Church. The graveyard contains the grave of famous businessman, MP and toymaker Frank Hornby. Mr Hornby was also a founder member of Maghull & District Conservative Club established in 1912.
The area around Maghull Station in Maghull East Ward was historically known as Kennessee Green, in the 1890s and into the early 1900's it was larger than Maghull itself. Sadly there is no signage to mark the historic boundaries - perhaps something for Maghull Town Council to think about.
Aintree Village Parish Council - 12 seats (Please note Aintree Parish will move into the Liverpool Walton Constituency for Parliamentary Elections, but remain within Sefton MBC for local elections)
Aintree North Ward (5 seats - polling district C4 within the Borough Ward of Molyneux),
Contains a large proportion of the famous Aintree Grand National course. The County stand is a listed building.
Aintree South Ward (7 seats - polling districts C5 to C6 within the Borough Ward of Molyneux)
Contains Grade II listed Valley House off Wango Lane, built around 1637/38. Cottages 1-7 in Mill Square off Bullbridge Lane are all listed.
Blue Anchor Bridge is also listed. Built over the Leeds/Liverpool canal it runs onto the Melling Road, where horses in the Grand National run over on 4 separate occasions during the race.
Melling Parish Council - 11 seats
No wards - (Collective grouping of 11 seats - polling districts C1 to C2 within the Borough Ward of Molyneux)
Contains 11 listed buildings including Bank Hall farmhouse. Melling also contains a settlement called Waddicar. The once small semi rural village is barely recognisable from 30 years ago due to modern day housing developments.
Lydiate Parish Council - 9 seats
Lydiate North Ward (2 seats - polling district B1 within the Borough Ward of Park),
Lydiate South Ward (3 seats - polling district B3 within the Borough Ward of Park)
Lydiate West Ward (4 seats - polling district B2 within the Borough Ward of Park)
Lydiate North Ward contains the famous Scotch Piper public house 1320, as well as the ruins of St.Catherine's Chapel (Lydiate Abbey) built around 1500. There are 14 listed buildings in Lydiate, mainly in the north of the parish close to the border with West Lancashire.
Sefton & Lunt Parish Council - 7 seats
Sefton North Ward (3 seats - polling district B6 within the Borough Ward of Park)
Contains the Grade I listed Sefton Church (Church of Saint Helen) consecrated 1170
Sefton South Ward (4 seats - polling district N6 within the Borough Ward of Manor)
One of the smallest parish wards in the borough it contains the listed Tan House farmhouse off Runnells Lane. Land in between Tanhouse Road and Runnells Lane was originally known as Windles Green. Many people mistake this area for being in Thornton, it isn't, it is in Sefton.
Ince Blundell Parish Council - 5 seats
No wards - (Collective grouping of 5 seats - polling district P6 within the Borough Ward of Ravenmeols)
Despite being a very small parish Ince Blundell contains 24 listed buildings. The hamlet of Carr Houses contains a 17th century farmhouse and cottage. It also contains Ince Blundell Hall, a former Georgian country house built in the early 1700's, it is now a nursing home.
Little Altcar Parish Council - 7 seats
No wards - (Collective grouping of 7 seats - polling district P5 within the Borough Ward of Ravenmeols)
Relatively small parish contains 5 listed buildings including Hoggshill Farmhouse. The Waterloo Cup 1836-2005 used to be held in the neighbouring Great Altcar in West Lancashire, it was banned after the Labour Government's Hunting Act of 2004.
Thornton Parish Council - 8 seats
No wards - (Collective grouping of 8 seats - polling district N5 within the Borough Ward of Manor)
Contains grade II listed stocks and sundial from the 18th century. Nags Head Public House also dates back to 19th century. Homer Green farmhouse in the tiny hamlet of Homer Green (L29) is also listed and within the Thornton parish boundary, it sits in between Ince Blundell and Lunt.
Hightown Parish Council - 7 seats
No wards - (Collective grouping of 7 seats - polling district N1 within the Borough Ward of Manor)
Contains Altcar training camp NW RFCA, 620 acres. Hightown has 4 listed buildings including the grade II listed war memorial.
Formby Parish Council - 15 seats
Harington Ward (8 seats - polling districts Q1 to Q6 within the Borough Ward of Harington)
Ravenmeols Ward (7 seats - polling districts P1 to P4 within the Borough Ward of Ravenmeols)
Formby contains 27 listed buildings. It is also famous for it's beach, pine woods and red squirrels.